“I know, Lord, that our lives are not our own. We are not able to plan our own course. So correct me, Lord, but please be gentle. Do not correct me in anger, for I would die.”

Jeremiah 10:23-24


But blessed are those who trust in the Lord and have made the Lord their hope and confidence. They are like trees planted along a riverbank, with roots that reach deep into the water. Such trees are not bothered by the heat or worried by long months of drought. Their leaves are green, and they never stop producing fruit.”

Jeremiah 17:7-8

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Badplaas, Mpumalanga, South Africa

I've been in Badplaas, a small town about 3 hours east of Johnannesburg, for almost a month now. I'm settled and used to the routine now. I'm staying with five kids who have been orphaned and whose foster father had brain cancer and last week passed away. They are ages 10-15, two boys (twins)Sipho and Sihle, who just turned 13 and three girls, Jedidyah, 15, Queenie, 11 and Angel is 10. I am staying with them in the transition period between the foster home where they were and their likely new home.

Badplaas is a very beautiful area in the foothills of the Ndlumudlumu Hills. Every day I'm stunned by the view as we drive into town. I'm staying with the five kids on another family's farm. It is hoped they will become the new foster parents. They, Kerry and Wimpie, have two kids of their own, a 12 yr old son, Mickie and 15 yr old daughter, Michelle . All the children seem to get along well,especially the boys, who are practically inseparable.

Each day I go into town with them and assist at their school. Its a tiny Christian school. Then we go home, have lunch and do homework, then free time until supper, after supper the kids go to bed and I have a couple hours to unwind. I'm not sure how long I will be here, maybe until the end of March. Then I would like to visit a missionary friend in Botswana and then end up my time in Cape Town. I fly back to the States on April 28th. Just in time for my mother's birthday on the 30th!

Here are some pics.... me with all the kids except Michelle, after church last Sunday  
Here's one of my favorite views here....
Here's a pic of the Christian school the kids attend...

No comments: