“I know, Lord, that our lives are not our own. We are not able to plan our own course. So correct me, Lord, but please be gentle. Do not correct me in anger, for I would die.”

Jeremiah 10:23-24


But blessed are those who trust in the Lord and have made the Lord their hope and confidence. They are like trees planted along a riverbank, with roots that reach deep into the water. Such trees are not bothered by the heat or worried by long months of drought. Their leaves are green, and they never stop producing fruit.”

Jeremiah 17:7-8

Sunday, April 15, 2007

Robben Island



Hello, my friends!

A couple weekends ago a group of us went to tour Robben Island. Its right off the coast of Cape Town and has been used for many things, at one time it was a leper colony and most recently it had been used as a maximum security prison for black political prisoners. Nelson Mandela was in prison here for 18 years. Now it is a museum and former prisoners are the ones who give the tours. The most interesting thing is that former prisoners and former guards now live side by side on the island and get along fine. It is amazing to me after the atrocities I hear about from the apartheid era, that people here are able to forgive and move on. Not that it is without racial strife, but for the most part it is not violent. Most crime arises more from poverty and hopelessness ....anyway, here are some pictures - Nelson Mandela's cell and there is also a penguin colony on the island, so I had to include a pic of this!!!

No comments: