“I know, Lord, that our lives are not our own. We are not able to plan our own course. So correct me, Lord, but please be gentle. Do not correct me in anger, for I would die.”

Jeremiah 10:23-24


But blessed are those who trust in the Lord and have made the Lord their hope and confidence. They are like trees planted along a riverbank, with roots that reach deep into the water. Such trees are not bothered by the heat or worried by long months of drought. Their leaves are green, and they never stop producing fruit.”

Jeremiah 17:7-8

Friday, March 30, 2007

SOS Kindergarten, school holidays, Namibia!!

Hey, y'all!

Its been a week since I've updated so I figured I'd better update you before I am gone for a couple weeks. Things have been going well....I start volunteering at the SOS Children's Village Kindergarten on April 16th. I will go there on Monday and Wednesday mornings from 9am - noon. I will be assisting the teachers in whatever ways they need. I am not sure what skills I bring to this, as I have never done it before, but I am trusting that God has opened this door for a reason and He will equip me!!

I don't start until the 16th because the schools are on holiday here from April 2nd - 13th. So we did not want to waste this time, so 6 of us from the volunteer house are going to Namibia from the 1st - 12th. I am so excited to see another part of Africa! Cape Town is so westernized that I sometimes feel I'm just in Florida or something! In Namibia we will spend a few days in the capitol, Wind Hoek, then we are going to Etosha National Park for 2 days and finally to the coast to check out the sand dunes. The town we are staying in on the coast is Swakopmund. The sand dunes in Namibia are the highest in the world! We might go quad-biking or sand boarding at the dunes......such wild experiences I've had in my first 6 weeks!!

Last weekend we went to Robben Island. This is where Nelson Mandela spent 18 years in prison. We toured the island and the prison. It was very interesting...I will do a specific post with pics when I get back from Namibia.

On Wednesday I went to Stellenbosch with Sara (vol from US) and her dad, who is visiting her right now, and went to a few wine tastings, went to an awesome African restaurant (Moyo), and I saw CHEETAHS!! That's right, Nicole, I saw CHEETAH's! Only a two feet away from me!! I'll post more about this and pics when I get back as well! It was really awesome!!

I hope you are all doing well back in the States! Please keep in touch!!

1 comment:

Dave and Beth Saavedra said...

Sounds like great holidays planned. I'll be praying for good adjustments into your new role at the orphanage. Dreams coming true! Yay!